Thursday, May 13, 2010

16th President and Vampire Hunter...?

So, I finished up with Sense, Sensibility, and Seamonsters, a rather fast and enjoyable read and, still madly in love with his prior novel Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, decided to pick up Seth Grahame-Smith's Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. And while I know that this behavior is *PROCRASTINATION* (yes, all in caps), I (pardon the pun) devoured it.

Yes. This book was that good. It's got such an engaging tone that I would read this even if there weren't vampires. And without the vampires, Old Abe's life is a string of sad circumstances followed by periods of shouldering the burdens of the young nation.

But, where this book really diverges from a normal history -- other than, of course, the vampires -- is that the writing style injects such life into the telling of it. I think this is more along the lines of why I love this book. Because even with the wry humor of our 16th president and the vampires, it's still a very sad story about a man who lost so much and shouldered so much and died for his belief in freedom. The same story we've all heard over many, many years, dusted with chalk, punctuated with the period bell.

I've always heard in those history classes that Abraham Lincoln had a sense of humor. Reading this book, I could actually see that sly wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment